Thursday 17 September 2015

The Five Remembrances

A Buddhist meditation known as the Five Remembrances asks us to reflect on the nature of reality and our actions. This can help us to decide what our priorities are and how we should spend our days.

THE FIVE REMEMBRANCES:

1. There is no way to escape aging. I too will grow old.
2. There is no way to escape physical degeneration. My body too will weaken.
3. There is no way to escape death. Itoo will die.
4. Everything and everyone changes; we must part even from loved ones.
5. My deeds are always with me as propensities. Only my kamma accompanies me when I die my kamma is the ground on which l stand.

When you wake each morning, start the day be reaffirming your intention to practice loving kindness and compassion. Remind yourself each day to work at letting go of ego clinging, selfishness, controlling behaviour, negative thoughts, possessiveness, aggression, resentment and confusion.

Lama Surya Das, Awakening the Buddha within
Source : Buddhism - Path to Nivana

No comments:

Post a Comment